IMPORTANT: The forum is in Read-Only mode and registrations have been disabled.

PoseRay to Kerkythea conversion

General information regarding development of exporters and plugins
notareal
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by notareal »

If you like I can move this to Exporter-Plugin Development.

That is better place to talk about exporter in development.
anar
KT-Warrior

Post by anar »

Hi Notareal,

and thank you for your answer.

Well, it's up to you to decide where is the best place for such a subject.
IMO it could be in "Off-topic" because it is said to talk about "3rd party tools".

It could also stay as is. Then I will continue posting Poseray stuffs where I started doing it.

But never mind where you decide to create it as long as there is a well identified place for that...

Best regards.
3D by passion
anar
KT-Warrior

Post by anar »

Now here is another displacement test done with Poseray.

I figured out that the beta version in this post has problems when it comes to deal with flat and unsubdivided surfaces like this one.
I was unable to do a nice adaptive subd on such a surface.
After a long computation time, it seems that Poseray doesn't subdivide anything in such a case...

So the solution was to use the regular last official release without adaptive subd.
But the face needed that I subdivide 7 times in order to have a nice displacement (because the embossing of the card is so small) resulting in a very big Obj file !

The idea was this one :
I divided the surface of the card around the embossing and duplicated the texture there with another name (Emboss for example).
Then in Poseray (official release) I only subdivided this "Emboss" area (7 times) resulting in a much smaller mesh.

Conclusion :
it is sometime better to do the "adaptive" displacement by yourself (well, I know, it is not adaptive...).
At least on flat surfaces.

The card is still missing the hologram.
But that's another problem. And I don't know yet how I'm going to do the material for that...
Attachments
Embossed with Poseray
Embossed with Poseray
SketchUp subdivision before export
SketchUp subdivision before export
3D by passion
notareal
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by notareal »

(moved)
anar
KT-Warrior

Post by anar »

This is a small animation (animated gif) of the displaced credit card.
It's my very first animation with KT.

Program used :
- SU
- SU2KT
- KT2OBJ
- Poseray
- and KT off course

The biggest problem I encounter is concerning the lightning...
Attachments
Embossed with Poseray
Embossed with Poseray
3D by passion
flyerx

Post by flyerx »

Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am glad that people find PoseRay useful. The beta link that I posted earlier in this topic does not work and you should download the beta from PoseRay's front page. The older non-beta version is still available.

PoseRay's page: http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/

Several circumstances have kept me from updating and keeping up during the past year. So much that I was unaware that the topic was moved so I missed all the new replies and some email messages.

I will look into some of the issues brought up in the thread.

Regards,

FlyerX
WallyR

PoseRay

Post by WallyR »

I have been using Poseray for a while now with POV-Ray. I just downloaded and tried the beta version with Kerkythea export. I will be glad to help test. I loaded and exported a Poser scene but the cameras and lights did not export. Did I miss something or is this feature not yet implemented?

I was using Poseray to clean up Poser obj files before importing into K. I wrote a couple of Poser Python scripts to export the cameras and lights from Poser. When I tried the new K exporter I noticied it re-orients the model to match K convention of z axis vertical. I modified my Python script to match. I posted these scripts in the Tutorials section if anyone wants to try them. I suppose Poseray will soon export cameras and lights, but right now I set up a scene in Poser and use Poseray to export the model and merge this with the camera and light export from my python programs.
flyerx

Post by flyerx »

Wally,

I will mention your scripts on PoseRay's manual for anyone interested in using them.

I have not considered importing Poser lights or cameras into Kerkythea and this conversion works only on the geometry and materials as stated on the beta manual. I may look into this extra conversion but I think it is unnecessary. Kerkythea provides much better tools than Poser to set lights and cameras anyway.

POV-Ray export does have the camera and lights conversion because its interface does not allow of easy preview of the scene before rendering.

FlyerX
tracyk859

Post by tracyk859 »

Thanks for the post.