IMPORTANT: The forum is in Read-Only mode and registrations have been disabled.

PoseRay to Kerkythea conversion

General information regarding development of exporters and plugins
DragonSlayer44
KT-Warrior

Post by DragonSlayer44 »

I fig. that may have been the prob with POV. Hopfully not so much with KT can't wait for the test link!!!
flyerx

Post by flyerx »

OK this is the first preview release.

http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/files ... 3_beta.zip

Included:
- Blended subdivision: mesh is blended between subdivided and original parts. No more gaps between mesh triangles.

- Displacement with adaptive subdivision. Check the manual for more details. It basically uses the gradient magnitude of the displacement to determine where the mesh should be subdivided.

- Built-in KT export: to use just load the model or scene as always in PoseRay and use the left most tab to export. Right now it only has two options: scale and format. If you are importing a Poser scene remember that PoseRay scales it by 100 by default. Keep that in mind if you want to export converted Poser geometry to KT. KT export does not include camera or lights. I recommend using the compressed format because the uncompressed xml files from Poser conversions or subdivided meshes tend to be 50MB+ each.

Limitations and bugs:

- Adaptive mesh selection is limited to UV coordinates from 0 to 1. Will be fixed to work on out-of-range values as repeated mapping.

- KT export of specular mapping is not right. I could not find a similar configuration using the specular and shininess in KT. Would appreciate any input on that.

- Specular color in exported KT files may be too shiny compared to POV-Ray renders. It is difficult to match since POV-Ray specular is different from KT's.

- PoseRay will not convert POV-Ray materials into KT materials. It will only convert the properties in the basic materials tab.

I attached PoseRay images of the Poser male model Apollo using the displacement map included with the figure (http://www.antonkisieldesigns.com). Images show the original and displaced meshes as well as the differences between adaptive and non-adaptive subdivision. Using the new adaptive subdivision the triangle count was increased by 188197. If non-adaptive subdivision was used the triangle count was increased by a massive 790368. Only SkinBody, SkinTorso, SkinNeck, SkinHead and SkinHandsFeet were selected for subdivision. The adaptive subdivision selected faces within those groups.

Everyone is welcome to test it and post issues/comments here or to my email.

later,

FlyerX
Attachments
Comparison of original, adaptive subdivision and non-adaptive subdivision meshes.
Comparison of original, adaptive subdivision and non-adaptive subdivision meshes.
Comparison between original and displaced mesh.
Comparison between original and displaced mesh.
Fletch
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Fletch »

congrats, Flyerx! all the best in your endeavors.

I have never used Poseray :oops: and really know little about it, but adaptive displacement and adaptive subdivision are no easy task (so I hear), congrats!

8-[ :-$ will you be able to render animated people in KT with this?
flyerx

Post by flyerx »

Fletch,

Thanks, I still have some ideas for the future of PoseRay as a bridge between models and renderers. PoseRay is not only for Poser but it can read other formats such as LWO, 3DS & DXF. Any model imported into PoseRay can be converted to KT.

PoseRay can convert animations from Poser to POV-Ray by converting a set of OBJ files. PoseRay could easily be modified to export a set of xml or kzx files and render them in KT. I do not know if it would be practical since KT would have to load a new mesh for each frame. In POV-Ray is just a loop in the script and PoseRay creates that automatically.

Maybe in the future if a common animation specification is defined more programs could exchange animation information among them. The closest thing that I know that could bridge this gap right now is COLLADA.

FlyerX
Fletch
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Fletch »

loading a new mesh for each frame can easily be accomplished w/ KT's merge function... maybe something to ask Giannis for more details.

if you File>Merge>Replace Mesh you don't lose your materials or sky or lights.

it's up to the user to render the scene economically... because KT caches the irradiance for animations, you would either re-use an irradiance cache that is now 'wrong' for some scenes, or you would just not use the irradiance cache feature... which increases render times, but is not the end of the world.
Dan
KT-GrandMaster

Post by Dan »

Excellent work, FlyerX !!! :shock:

Great translation of meshes and materials and very, very fast

I was in a hurry to test the new beta and here is a (very rough :oops: ) render of a .lwo car model.
No interventions on materials.

Many thanks!
Attachments
Dodge_Charger.jpg
Regards!
Dan
ArchiCAD // SketchUp // Kerkythea
Intel Core 2 Duo E 6400 @ 2,13 Ghz // NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT // 4 Gb RAM // Win XP SP2
flyerx

Post by flyerx »

Dan,

Looks good. One thing I noticed with KT is that if a material has white refraction it still will not be completely transparent unless its diffuse color is black. I will look into scaling down the diffuse color according to the transparency as an export option. Those windows and lamp covers are frosted.

Although it is very different to the other render engines I have used, I really like how KT handles specular and shininess.

FlyerX
Rafa
KT-GrandMaster

Post by Rafa »

I'm checking it too... but in the week end... (Little presure in the work now)
Fletch
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Fletch »

Be sure to get Patrick's basic material using a specular and a bump map, it's a great starter kit if you are learning about KT mats. See also the top of the materials forum for the master listing sticky thread... with link to all you need.
Asimo
KT-Senior

Post by Asimo »

Great work...Ill give it a try too...
Dan
KT-GrandMaster

Post by Dan »

FlyerX ,

Is it possible to add a "Swap Y and Z Axes" option for imported .obj files as an option to KT export tab?
I vaguely remember I used such an option before, but I can't remember where it was (if it was)... "Groups" tab?

Thanks!
Regards!
Dan
Intel Core 2 Duo E 6400 @ 2,13 Ghz // NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT // 4 Gb RAM // Win XP SP2
flyerx

Post by flyerx »

Dan,

That option is now called Flip Y-Z axis and it is in the Faces, vertices and normals subtab in the Groups tab. The buttons are on the bottom right.

FlyerX
Dan
KT-GrandMaster

Post by Dan »

Found it!!!
I knew that is there, somewhere :oops:

Thanks, FlyerX!

And another (may be stupid) question: is there an "Undo" function?
Regards!
Dan
flyerx

Post by flyerx »

Dan,

No undo. I tried that and it takes too much memory to hold every change in the mesh. Maybe a one-level undo for mesh and materials could be easily implemented. Or maybe a snapshot-style restore where the user controls what state to save for undo.

FlyerX
Dan
KT-GrandMaster

Post by Dan »

I think a one level undo would be enough.
Thank you!
Regards!
Dan