IMPORTANT: The forum is in Read-Only mode and registrations have been disabled.

PoseRay to Kerkythea conversion

General information regarding development of exporters and plugins
flyerx

PoseRay to Kerkythea conversion

Post by flyerx »

Hello,

I am the maintainer of PoseRay (http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/). I recently experimented with the latest version of Kerkythea and I was impressed with its results and would like to add Kerkythea support to PoseRay's next revision.

Looking at some sample exported xml files, the Kerkythea format looks easy enough to write to but I just wanted to check if there an official specification for the xml format used. I checked with the Getting Started manual and the download section on this site but the spec is not listed. Most likely I missed it.

I know Kerkythea has a good OBJ importer but the materials coming from some models, specially with transmaps, do not transfer well and require layered textures in Kerkythea. If only the material list could be exported and applied to the model in Kerkythea that would be even better since that would save the work of writing the geometry exporter.

Any information would be appreciated,

FlyerX
Dan
KT-GrandMaster

Post by Dan »

Thanks for your interest in KT, FlyerX !
I'm not part of the developing team, but just a humble KT user :) and using PoseRay mostly to subdivide geometry that I export to KT using PoseRay obj. format. Other most advanced users here use PoseRay to apply displacement to their objects too prior to use them in KT.
Of course, a direct exporter to KT would be great (Pov Ray is somehow a little "Chinese" for me :D ). And applying native KT materials would be really awesome.

BTW, congratulations for such a nice program as PoseRay !
Keep up the good work !
Regards!
Dan
ArchiCAD // SketchUp // Kerkythea
Intel Core 2 Duo E 6400 @ 2,13 Ghz // NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT // 4 Gb RAM // Win XP SP2
giannis
Site Admin

Post by giannis »

hi flyerx,

congrats for PoseRay, a great app indeed.

I have two small docs that describe the parameters, i think they may be helpful (although someone will find the info rather "not enough").

e-mail me at Ioannis.Pantazopoulos_at_gmail.com, so that I can reply to you with the docs (and you can mail me of course, if you want any help).

best wishes
giannis
notareal
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by notareal »

Welcome FlyerX. These are great news.
Avariant
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Avariant »

This is good news!! One thing that would be awesome is to work out material transparency / clip maps. Getting hair to look good is always a bit of a challenge, so if PoseRay could do it automatically...sweet!
flyerx

Post by flyerx »

giannis,

Thanks for the offer. I did sent you an email.

As I mentioned on the message to giannis, the conversion may take some time since I am rather busy. Most likely it will be done in phases with several beta versions released to the KT forum only. By the way... where should I announce any new PoseRay releases? Here in Off topic?

I have another question about materials in KT: Can a material file be read that modifies all the materials in a model instead of just one? Maybe it could be done with a script.

regards,

FlyerX
Fletch
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Fletch »

send request to Giannis via email when you have announcement of first beta, he will likely create a PoseRay sub-forum ... at least that's what I would do...
Rafa
KT-GrandMaster

Post by Rafa »

flyerx, Good oportunity for congratulate you for PoseRay! and that conversion tool would be great!
flyerx

Post by flyerx »

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I am glad that many people actually find PoseRay useful. I noticed that the displacement tool is rather popular here and I just wanted to let everyone know that I am looking into making the displacement function use an adaptive subdivision scheme before displacement. The subdivision will be done where the displacement mapping has non-zero gradients. This should prevent the model from becoming too dense by only subdividing the triangles that are affected by the displacement changes. It is still a long way to implemented but PoseRay internal data structure should allow for easy implementation of this scheme.

regards,

FlyerX
Fletch
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Fletch »

Hi Flyerx,
:welcome:
please keep us posted on your progress.
Rafa
KT-GrandMaster

Post by Rafa »

Woooooow, that would be awesome!

Unnecesary subdivition is the main reason why displacement has to be used with caution. That would be great.
DragonSlayer44
KT-Warrior

Post by DragonSlayer44 »

@ Flyerx Congrats on the new update!! The new high light on selected obj. Is a great help!! (?) Is there going to be a new added slot for spec. and trans. for the mats on the same obj. Just a thought. Add I hope to see the new export to xml in the future!!! That would be great!! And if no ones said it yet welcome!!
flyerx

Post by flyerx »

DragonSlayer44,

The only reason I did not include trans and specular at the same time is because, as far as I know, POV-Ray does not support it without modifying the transparency map to use the alpha channel. This makes the conversion rather cumbersome for POV-Ray scenes. I will take a look at it again and see if anything could be done.

The xml writer for KT and the enhanced subdivision/displacement routines are mostly finished. I also added a blended subdivision function. This provides for a non-subdivided mesh to join with a subdivided mesh without gaps.

I just need to some stress tests. I will release a preview link on this thread soon. I would like people to test the update and to get some feedback to better convert models to KT meshes.

regards,

FlyerX
Rafa
KT-GrandMaster

Post by Rafa »

I would like people to test the update and to get some feedback to better convert models to KT meshes.
Count with that!

(or the correct expression is "Count on that"?)
Dan
KT-GrandMaster

Post by Dan »

Rafa wrote:
I would like people to test the update and to get some feedback to better convert models to KT meshes.
Count with that!
I'll be glad to help, too.
Regards!
Dan
ArchiCAD // SketchUp // Kerkythea
Intel Core 2 Duo E 6400 @ 2,13 Ghz // NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT // 4 Gb RAM // Win XP SP2