IMPORTANT: The forum is in Read-Only mode and registrations have been disabled.

Website issues and requests

Talks about web site construction, changes and administration, public relations and permissions.

Moderators: Rafa, ModeratorGroup

Frederik
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Frederik »

Ooohhhh... I can see that you're progressing well on the repository, Bob... \:D/ =D>

And the Gallery...!! :shock:
Did you abandon the Gallery2..?? :?
Cheers
Kim Frederik

“…When a decision is made it’s important that you implement it quickly.”
sintra
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by sintra »

Looking good Bob 8)

Gallery looking alot better to :D
Kind regards

Darren

Sketchup6 & Kerkythea
Dell Precison M90 notebook, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 Ghz, 4Gb of Ram, nVidia Quadro FX 2500M

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darrengoodwin/show/
alex
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by alex »

Some wonderful job...the piclens is just wow !
Alexandre Bagros-Murat

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

@Kim: Gallery2 is still there - the latest SVN version is installed at http://www.kerkythea.org/gallery2 but I've not been able to integrate it into Joomla 1.5, and I had major problems with upgrading to SVN to see if PicLens works (it doesn't seem to do much).

So I tried PhocaGallery which is a newer, much simpler integrated Gallery for Joomla 1.5. So far it seems OK. I had big problems with 500 (server failure) errors over the weekend when it tried to make its own thumbnails. So now I'm making thumbnails off-line in little batches and uploading them and that seems to work well.

@Alex: I've just been playing with the PicLens feeds - go into the Interiors gallery and click PicLens from there you should see all the images so far. If you zoom into some of them you'll notice the image change as it switches form the 640x480 thumbnail to the higher-res image. Doesn't seem to work on your car images though so there must be a size limit somewhere.

@Kim: There's a little content in the Remositary, just the main containers and one file so far I think. That's a big copy and paste job to swap over from this site.

Check the Documents link too, I couldn't find a wiki so I've installed Phil Taylor's KnowledgeBase there and have put just a couple of articles up. The 'Test' article has some hover over definition links that could be neat if the boxes were better placed . . .

Bob

PS The site is public again because something that I installed wouldn't work without it . . . I cna probably turn it off again now.
Attachments
piclens.png
Fletch
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Fletch »

speaking of smilies again... (sorry)
I think one that would get used a lot, but is not available is the shrugging shoulders smiley.
Bob, Kim, or other... I've seen one when visiting a site Kim linked me to, but not such a good one... if you run accross one that would work with our set, it would be cool.

re: Piclens - I'm in love! I already have Piclens on my Firefox... but does it work for anyone visiting straight from the site? If so, then, :shock: and :thumbsup:

Some actual important points about the new website layout

What merits 'Interviews' it's own spot on the menu at the top? This seems odd and deeply strange to me... while the inteviews are nice, accessing them this way seems quite unnecessary. If that tab should say something it should say 'Gallery' as Gallery should be next after the 'home' tab... but the Interviews tab should be replaced by an 'Articles' tab.

Also, "Remository" should say 'Downloads' or something anyone will be able to make sense of... the word 'Remository' is just ... ugh.

Documents : is this going to be replaced by 'KT Wiki' eventually?
Documents are accessed in the 'Remository'... though on KT's current site there are several places to find them.

Also, the current downloads available section is divided very strangely... not intuitively. I will try to off my opinion of how I would expect to access some things.

For instance, if you want to Download the K-ball scene it takes a while to locate it. there are many examples of this confusing me when I go in there.
GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

@Fletch: Find me a shrugged shoulders smiley and I'll add to the set.

Piclens: is only available if you install the PicLens browser Add-on - it's available for FireFox, Safari and IE.

Interviews: I don't recall adding the Interviews on the ToolBar - may just be a carry over from the database restore. I haven't done anything with layout at that level apart from add a couple of buttons.

Remository: I agree, it may be the default value, or I may have done it to remind me of the extension the button links to.

I find the current downloads a bit odd, the content needs to be copy & pasted over (see an earlier post here) I'll try to clean it up as we go.

Documents: No plan to add the KTWiki as I can't find an integrated Wiki for Joomla 1.5 (see several earlier posts here). I've switched to Phil Taylor's KnowledgeBase extension and copied over a couple of articles from the Wiki to check that will work.

Bob
Fletch
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Fletch »

GreyHead wrote: I've switched to Phil Taylor's KnowledgeBase extension...
](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :cry: :cry: :cry:

oh well... I'm sure it's better than that Wiki... I hated all the odd text links I had to type.
Frederik
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Frederik »

Hi Bob! :D

I've now tried to see what I can do regarding the .net domain at joker.com...
Although that my e-mail address already seemed to have been registered, I had to obtain a new password...
However, when logging in, it tells me that I don't have any domains...!?! :?

So the idea about transferring the .net domain to point to the site build on the .org domain, unfortunately doesn't seem to work... :cry:
Do you have other ideas..??
Cheers
Kim Frederik

GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

Kim,

OK I'll take a look in the morning. Would you mind PMing or emailing me your Joker password?

Bob
Frederik
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Frederik »

No prob... :D
I will e-mail it to you right away... ;)
Cheers
Kim Frederik

GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

Kim,

Took a look this morning - disappointing, I'd hoped that it woudl all come together. Looks liek you need to request the transfer of the domain to your Joker account. They send out two emails, one to the owner which will go to your email account and one to the admin contct which is one.com.

If both agree, the transfer is immediate. I think that if you agree and one.com does nothing then the transfer takes place after 7 days; if one.com disagree then . . .? (though I don't see why they should).

No rush, still loads to do on the new site.

Bob

PS This week I have downloaded and re-uploaded all the 'downloads' from here. They still need putting into the remositary though.
Frederik
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Frederik »

Yeah, I figured that I have to contact one.com... :(

Any way... Please let me know if there's anything I (or others) can do to help you upload things to the repository... ;)
Cheers
Kim Frederik

GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

@Kim, thanks. There are some things that can be done, it's a bit hard to define them until I bump into them though. I think that mostly they are about house-keeping.

I've been looking at the downloads files. I noticed that there is no consistent naming convention for them and that they are often hard to identify once they are downloaded - they just get lost in a mess of other files.

So, I tried out a convention like kt_tut_tutsubject_v1.zip which works well for most of them.

But not for materials libraries . . . I've been digging around this morning trying to understand what makes them tick! Not wholly successful but I learned a lot more.

I picked the library called 'ceramics' just because it's small, not because it's a particularly good or bad library.

As far as I can see the library name is picked up from the .mat.zip file name - even though the xml file has a Title attribute and there is a folder inside the mat.zip file which is called 'Ceramics'. I think that this is a bug, it certainly causes problems with naming conventions for download files.

At the moment I'm wondering if it might not be simpler to re-zip the library to give a structure like this. Weirdly, this double zipping might help the installation problem too:

kt_mat_ceramics_1.zip
-+ Ceramics.mat.zip
-+ Ceramics (folder)

Bob

PS There are also some house-keeping issues with this particular library:

There are three materials in there - but only two are ceramics - I think the third one 'tablebump' is just junk. There are four graphics, two of which are not used (one is the tablebump bump map).

The yellow ceramic appears to be missing two textures, adding them back in makes it look much better. Is anything else missing?

There is a .names file with slightly cryptic names - yellowceram, these show up as the preview titles, putting 'Yellow ceramic' seems to work OK.

There is a .txt file that is empty - putting text in here shows up as a tooltip in the library browser - could be valuable to add notes about 'special requirements'.

There is no library icon - needs a 128x128 jpg with the same name as the library.
GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

Here is a 'double-zipped' version of that materials library cleaned up*.

Bob

* fixed the missing textures, renamed to 'Ceramics - crackled' so it sorts under 'ceramics' but includes the 'crackled' subtitle shown in the downloads section, added a library icon, . . .
Attachments
kt_mat_ceramic_crackled_1.zip
(166.83 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

On a different topic - I can't get Patrick's "KT2007_Mareial_scene_for_MLT-BiPT_PM_FG.xml" to open in KT 2008. Do I have a corrupt download or is something else going on?

Bob

PS "KT2007_Mareial_scene_for_PM_FG_GI-quick.xml" opens OK