IMPORTANT: The forum is in Read-Only mode and registrations have been disabled.

Website issues and requests

Talks about web site construction, changes and administration, public relations and permissions.

Moderators: Rafa, ModeratorGroup

Frederik
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Frederik »

Hi All,

Whenever I try to access the .org domain, my browser comes up with a warning and the site is closed... :?

This is happening with both IE 6 and 7...
Don't seem to have the issue when using Firefox, but I find it hard to believe that only users using FireFox will be able to see the site... :?
Cheers
Kim Frederik

“…When a decision is made it’s important that you implement it quickly.”
GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

What warning do you get? I can see the site OK in IE7 - don't have IE6 on this computer.

Bob

PS Just checked Opera & Safari too - both OK
Frederik
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Frederik »

This...
Attachments
kt-org.jpg
Cheers
Kim Frederik

GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

Googled a bit and found that it's a fairly obscure JavaScript error when JS tries to change something before the page is fully loaded (at least that's how I interpret it).

As it works for me with an 'out of the box' IE7 maybe you have an add-on that's causing the problem for you??? I found this:
Check your third party addons. Skype has addons in particular causes a slew of these errors (I just spent 2 hours trying to fix my code when in fact, it was Skype causing the IE problem). Try this:

Problem: Operation Aborted error in Internet Explorer

Solution: In IE, Click Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced Tab and then uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions"... after you uncheck that option, restart your browser and try to cause the error. If the error goes away, it was an add-on. Now, once you know it is an add-on you can reanble add-ons and then disable them one by one in Tools -> Manage Addons to find the offending culprit. Specifically in my case it was a Skype plugin was causing this problem (probably the one that parses for phone numbers... I suspect that it started to parse before the page was loaded and hit a unhandled null exception on the DOM, just my theory though
Bob
ever hopeful
GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

Just a quick update on the new website.

The weather has been good (so a little sailing is called for) and I've been very busy with other things but there is some progress.

I've been working on copying over the contents of the Remository (the downloads section). I still have Materials, Models and Scenes to do but the other sections are complete. I've cleaned up the text a little (could use much more to be really helpful) and I've added some thumbnails, still more of those to do as well.

On this site I've enabled Swish and Sketchup files in the forums*. Check out the Squirls image of Fletch's pavilion it's not a gif - the swf file was much smaller and keeps 'playing'.

Bob

* There is still a size limit though so it may not be too helpful.
Rafa
KT-GrandMaster

Post by Rafa »

Hi.

I'm making a little check list and a resume of activities here:

http://www.kerkythea.net/phpBB2/viewtop ... 2492#52492

To help keep track of some points of the migration in one place (besides this of course lol). I'll edit it as necesary.
Fletch
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Fletch »

On this site I've enabled Swish and Sketchup files in the forums
:thumbsup:
Rafa
KT-GrandMaster

Post by Rafa »

Bob, For the transfer and clean up you are doing; Is it an ftp transfer? Clean up is re-packing the material packs and so?
Frederik
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Frederik »

I'm not going to intervene in things here... ;)

My only short comment is that I'm sure Bob will create some access for you enabling you to be productive... ;)
Cheers
Kim Frederik

GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

Hi Rafa and everyone,

Here's my brain-dump list of things that need to be done (though I guess some are really just 'nice to have'). In no particular order:
  • Copy and paste the articles from the current Wiki into new Knowledgebase articles.
  • Edit the current tutorials so they have a 'house style' and match the KT branding (NB requires decision on branding)
  • Take Alex' list of tutorials in the forums and copy them into the new Knowledgebase
  • Add the remaining scenes and materials to the Downloads section (I probably have to do that)
  • Go through all the materials libraries and check that all texttures are present and that they have library icons
  • Go through all material libraries and create 600x600 download icons - see the ones I've done for the Globals
  • Go through the materials library and decide which cvan have the KT 'seal of approval' that is they are 'good', physically correct materials.
  • Check & update the links section
  • Go through the forums and pull out any images that are either (a) excllent and should be in a 'highlight' gallery of great examples, or (b) aren't necessarily perfect renders but show off some capability of KY - easy of use, range of models, material features, etc.
  • Complete installation of the 'shop' - required selecting long lists of countries from drop-down lists to get the postal rates OK (or a re-think)
  • . . . more to come I'm sure
The actions on the new site need be held a little as we're probably about to relaocate it - more about that in another post.

Bob[/list]
Rafa
KT-GrandMaster

Post by Rafa »

To be more specific: I can take care of this:
Copy and paste the articles from the current Wiki into new Knowledgebase articles
And after that, the general mantenience of the Wiki. If you agree.
GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

Rafa, Perfect. I'm only thinking about the transfer at the moment but it sounds good if you maintain it after that. I'll let you know as soon as the new-new version is ready to use.

How about Alex's list of tutorials from the forums here?

Bob
Rafa
KT-GrandMaster

Post by Rafa »

Ok :thumbsup:
alex
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by alex »

Code: Select all

Error 500 - Internal server error

An internal server error has occured!
Please try again later.
http://www.kerkythea.org/

Using Safari 3.1 (525.13) on Windows Vista

No problem with Gallery and Forum ;)
Alexandre Bagros-Murat

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

Please will you try kerkythea.info as the dev site has now relocated.

Most of the stuff is now there - but for some obscure(?) reason I can't get the slideshow to play yet.

Bob