IMPORTANT: The forum is in Read-Only mode and registrations have been disabled.

Website issues and requests

Talks about web site construction, changes and administration, public relations and permissions.

Moderators: Rafa, ModeratorGroup

GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Website issues and requests

Post by GreyHead »

Hi,

I'm starting a new sticky here to track admin issues about the current website. Things that need 'back-office' work to deal with.

I'll start another thread later for the new site and the transition.

Thanks

Bob
GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

As you may know the site went down last night for an hour or two. It just showed a 403 (forbidden) error message. I filed a support request and FYI here is the reply:
Hi Bob,

Thank you for contacting One.com.

I have checked your domain and did not receive
such an error. The error if at all when it
occured was due to the missing index file.

Best Regards

SUPPORT
Bob

PS The index file is dated 9-Feb-2007 so this seems an unlikely cause.
Last edited by GreyHead on Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

Small changes:
  • The favicon should now show up on the the site and the unframed forum
  • Forum search now defaults to showing threads rather than topics (requested by Fletch)
  • We've added some extra smilies but they look ill-matched and some do not suit a dark background so we're looking for a better set.
  • Fletch fixed the 'hug' smily :hug:
  • . . .
Bob
Last edited by GreyHead on Thu May 01, 2008 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
sintra
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by sintra »

:goodjob: Bob and BTW welcome to the hidden area of the site :D
Kind regards

Darren

Sketchup6 & Kerkythea
Dell Precison M90 notebook, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 Ghz, 4Gb of Ram, nVidia Quadro FX 2500M

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darrengoodwin/show/
Frederik
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Frederik »

GreyHead wrote:We've added some extra smilies but they look ill-matched and some do not suit a dark background so we're looking for a better set.
Yeah - I think we've found a nice set of smilies... :D
Looking forward to see these...

The new set will have a better quality and will ensure that the site doesn't appear like a "student project"... ;)
Cheers
Kim Frederik

“…When a decision is made it’s important that you implement it quickly.”
notareal
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by notareal »

GreyHead wrote:As you may know the site went down last night for an hour or two. It just showed a 403 (forbidden) error message. I filed a support request and FYI here is the reply:
Hi Bob,

Thank you for contacting One.com.

I have checked your domain and did not receive
such an error. The error if at all when it
occured was due to the missing index file.

Best Regards

SUPPORT
Bob

PS The index file is dated 9-Feb-2007 so this seems an unlikely cause.
one.com support is plain crap. I did find with a help google similar problems... and different explanations from one.com

This one was fairly hilarious (from year 2006)
http://timjoh.com/2006/09/
Tim: Hi Kaye. My site is returning HTTP 403 when I try to connect to it over HTTP
Tim: And “421: Unable to set up a secure chroot() jail” on FTP

Kaychelle: We do not support https
Kaychelle: Secure socket layer is not supported
:ooops:

Cant wait new website. Keep up the good work.
GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

Just updating. The smiley set is now pretty much consistent in the forums and the wiki - at least they look as though they belong together (except for the ROFL smiley which looks OK as it is).

I also did a little tweaking on the wiki layout to tidy up a couple of problems with the dark background.

A bit of tidying on the wiki and back to the new site next I think.

Bob
Frederik
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Frederik »

Excellent, Bob... :D

Yep - it would be great if we can continue the work on the kerkythea.org domain... :D
Once everything is up running over there - we need to discuss how to move on transferring the kerkythea.net domain...
I know that the 1and1.com web-host is supporting masking - but I'm not sure if we can use this...?!? :roll:
Cheers
Kim Frederik

GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

I think that you should keep the Kerkythea.net domain for the new site. There are too many links and bookmarks that would be broken otherwise. It does make the switch-over a bit more difficult but I think that's worth the effort.

The kerkythea.net domain name is registered with Joker (a German name registrar). Joker supports DNS changes so that all that is necessary is to logon in Joker and change the DNS to have them point to the new site. At the same time you put a temporary redirect on the old site while the DNS changes roll-out. Changes typically take up to 72 hours but in my experience most of them happen more quickly these days.

For the moment I'll build a test site on kerkythea.org so that the team can take a look and take the first bugs out. When that's ready it needs an announcement that the swap will take place and a quiet period (a European morning probably) to shut the forums down and reload the databases on the new host.

Bob
Frederik
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Frederik »

I agree with you 110%, Bob..!! ;)
We definitely want to stick to the kerkythea.net domain...
I'm only uncertain how we can make the DNS point at 1and1.com, but I assume that what you wrote above is what it takes... ;)
Cheers
Kim Frederik

GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

Kim: if you go to joker.com you *should* be able to click the register now button and create an account using your kim.frederik@wagnersvej.dk email address. I thnk this should automatically give you access to kerkythea.net.

I have two small hesitations, one that the domain has Ioannis' name and your email and two, that you may need to ask one.com to transfer the domain.

Bob

PS I see that .org & .info are both registered through 1&1 I'd suggest that you transfer both of these to Joker at some convenient time. Separatign control of the domain names from the hosting gives you much better control and more flexibility if you need to change hosts. (For example, I keep my domains at joker.com and host mainly at dreamhost.com)
notareal
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by notareal »

woops... never did give a thought that kerkythea.com might be important to get back as someone got it... but of course going commercial do change this a bit.
Registrant:
Texas International Property Associates - NA NA
4041 W. Wheatland Suite 156-417
Dallas, TX, 75237
US

Registered Through: BudgetNames.com
Domain Name: kerkythea.com
Created: 2006-09-14 14:31:07
Expires: 2008-09-14 10:31:07

Administrative Contact:
Texas International Property Associates - NA NA
4041 W. Wheatland Suite 156-417
Dallas, TX, 75237
US
texasipa@gmail.com
214-632-7290
But of course you can made a complaint to WIPO and Texas International Property Associates get his ass kicked again:
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/deci ... -0343.html
Last edited by notareal on Thu May 15, 2008 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frederik
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Frederik »

It's correct that the domains are listed under Giannis, but have my e-mail address...
This is primary because I've - so far - been the only person paying for these sites and domains, but I wanted Giannis to be listed as the owner, since Kerkythea is his baby... ;)

I will look into the Joker.com and see what we can do... :D
Cheers
Kim Frederik

Frederik
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Frederik »

notareal wrote:woops... never did give a thought that kerkythea.com might not be registered, but looks like someone got it...
Well... We have been thinking of this for more than a year, and already back then the domain was hi-jacked... :evil:
notareal wrote:But of course you can made a complaint to WIPO and Texas International Property Associates get his ass kicked again:
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/deci ... -0343.html
I'm aware of this, but I tried to about a year ago and got the message that we couldn't do anything back then... :roll:
Today I'm not even sure if we care and want the domain... :?

We have:
kerkythea.net
kerkythea.org
kerkythea.info

And then we have some others... ;)
Cheers
Kim Frederik

notareal
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by notareal »

Might be nice to register kerkythea.eu too :) It still available!