IMPORTANT: The forum is in Read-Only mode and registrations have been disabled.

The icons in the forum...

Talks about web site construction, changes and administration, public relations and permissions.

Moderators: Rafa, ModeratorGroup

Frederik
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Frederik »

Looks good, Rafa... ;)
Perhaps the green can be adjusted to appear more towards the green we're using on the site in general...?!? :?
Cheers
Kim Frederik

“…When a decision is made it’s important that you implement it quickly.”
GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

Quite happy to change the icon colours - or the icons. But as ever someone needs to make a decision, whatever goes up someone else isn't going to like.

The last change was because the sticky 'new' icon wasn't distinctive enough and someone suggested yellow.

I'm slightly red-green colourblind and the old red and green (and Rafa's samples) are not distinctive at all in the small size - I can tell the difference if I look but they don't stand out. So there should be sufficient tonal differnece that you can tell them apart in grey-scale.

The spec is that there should be a full set of thread icons - the current ones are 19x19 transparent gifs (though the size may be just what we inherited rather than an absolute restriction). They are 'new' and 'old' in 'sticky', 'hot', 'locked' and 'plain' plus whosonline plus a set of four folder icons for the top level. I think that's 13 in all.

Bob

PS I spent two or three days re-doing all 50-odd emoticons last year - making a set that were consistent, no plans to do that again. Contributions welcomed but it's all 54 or none at all.
Rafa
KT-GrandMaster

Post by Rafa »

Ok, copied.
I'll make the adjustments and a proposal of all 13 icons (I'll check if there some more)

Perhaps mdyfiing the green with a touch of yellow (Like Fletch's suggestion) could help to distinguish them. I'll make some variations and you tell me Bob.

I'm taking notes about all.

P.S. Does some one know a color blind simulator?
Frederik
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Frederik »

GreyHead wrote:Quite happy to change the icon colours - or the icons. But as ever someone needs to make a decision, whatever goes up someone else isn't going to like.
I agree on this... :)
It's always the same old story...
Too many cooks spoil the broth...

I appreciate all the work you guys are doing, and since I - at the same time feel confident that you can make things look right, I'm not going to intervene in this... ;)
Cheers
Kim Frederik

GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

:wink:

The green ones do now match the green of the bars in the forum here.

Bob
Frederik
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Frederik »

Thanks for the efforts, Bob... ;)

Unfortunately I must admit that now it's really difficult to distinguish between the yellow and the green, making it a little hard to see which topics are new... My bad - I admit... :oops:

When I made a little research on this, I saw that these icons comes in packs together with style themes... However, I also understand that phpBB v2 isn't supported any longer... :(
How hard/difficult will it be to upgrade to v3...?? :?
Cheers
Kim Frederik

GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

Hi Kim,

As I said, whatever change you make someone won't like it :-)

IIRC upgrading to PHPbb3 means upgrading to Joomla 1.5, we did all that a year ago until Giannis said to stop. It's clearly possible, but it was a lot* of wasted work.

The other site still exists at kerkythea.info but I have no incentive to do the work again without very clear ownership from Giannis and I don't think that will be forthcoming.

Bob

* in part because some of the extensions used here don't exist for Joomla 1.5
Rafa
KT-GrandMaster

Post by Rafa »

someone else isn't going to like
I know :rtfm:
I'm just experimenting... If you like them go ahead :mrgreen:
Attachments
Iconos4.png
Rafa
KT-GrandMaster

Post by Rafa »

Bob, I have a question, I have 3 methods to transform to gray scale image to analize the tonnal scale.

Which do you consider its the best? A, B or C
Attachments
Iconos4c.png
Iconos4b.png
Iconos4a.png
GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

Hi Rafa,

Oh dear - really hard to tell which is *best* - the icons in the orignal set that I find hardest to tell apart are the second and third pairs. So I guess that test C is the most like that.

I hunted around and found vischeck.com that looks useful. Here's your icon image process to simulate the two common forms of colour blindness.

Bob

PS There are protests at the latest change in the public form so I'll switch the green back again.
Attachments
Deuteranope
Deuteranope
deuteranope.jpg (10.23 KiB) Viewed 5298 times
Protanope
Protanope
Protanope.jpg (10.44 KiB) Viewed 5298 times
Rafa
KT-GrandMaster

Post by Rafa »

Hum, verey interesting. I can tell you I'll design with a new perspective.
Color blindnes was something I only knew in theory, but never had a practical case.

So maybe the color set No. 6 could work, isn't it?
GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

Hi Rafa,

Yes colour blindness is interesting - not least because you can't tell that you are colour blind until someone else points it out.

It's not to do with not seeing colour, it is that some of the distinctions are not as clear. I have some problems with reds and greens. Put a red or a green swatch in front of me and I can tell you what color it is. But small point - think distant traffic lights - or merges colours of the same tonal intensity - think red flowers among green leaves - don't stand out. My wife will say 'Look at the poppies in that field ' and I have to look twice to see that the poppies are there. But if I go up close I can see them as clearly as night and day.

Bizarre but that's life. It's never caused me any great inconvenience except when mushroom hunting in a shady wood :-(

Bob
Avariant
KT-Team
KT-Team

Post by Avariant »

Contrast aside, I have to say, that color green as an icon looks like canned peas.
Rafa
KT-GrandMaster

Post by Rafa »

@Avariant, Peas :D , that is the reason I use some transparency... but I was trying more like green grapes :mrgreen:

@GrayHead, Yeap, I knew the red - green thing (daltonismo in spanish) but becouse i didnt have a concrete case, i didnt figure out the specific details.

In color conversion of file formats there is a color model called Lab that in stead of separating the RGB channels it separates them in Luminosity and Red-Green and Yellow-Blue. I experimented neutralizing the red-green chanel and got the same results as the simulator you linked. Verey interesting. Now I have some ways to "be in your shoes" (estar en tus zapatos) :D

I made an example for you (I don't know i f you have seen one :D ) Of the "jump" of the colors. These are simulating an hipotetical case of not been able to see blue in one case and yellow in other case, with a starting point of one image created with visualcheck.
Attachments
Blue.jpg
Yellow.jpg
Blue-Yellow.jpg
Last edited by Rafa on Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GreyHead
KT-Explorer

Post by GreyHead »

Which - of the several colours green is the canned peas one? At present I think the icon green is the same as the text green and the bottom of the forum bar gradient.

Bob