FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

ktfarm Netrender -or- Net Rendering

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:21 am

tallguy wrote:Hi, I just joined the Kerky group. I'm a bridge designer down in Ames, Iowa. I am using kerky to render 3-d bridge images and I am interested in starting a small scale rendering farm.

I take it your company has started a small network rendering system (from posts I have read)

Can you give me any advice on how to start? Say two xp machines, then more later?

thanks in advance for the help. (love kerky)

Stuart

www.nieko.com

Hi Stuart, :welcome:
if you are starting w/ 2 machines - that's great because the way KT's net rendering works right now it's very rudimentary - meaning it does not run as a service. This means you have to log in to the machine. So if you want a large render farm, it could be ok if you have rights to be logged into them constantly... but at my work, each person has their own machine, and I can use it only by permission or after hours, or if they are out to lunch and let me, etc.

so, you have 2 machines networked, and you've read the tutorial for net rendering... I'm not sure what else advice I can give... it's pretty straight-forward.

In the future KT's net rendering solution will be much more robust... but hey, it's a free program, so what do we have to complain about? :D

please don't hesitate to ask more questions if you need more clarifications.
<<

majssac

Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:42 am

hi, I've just started with the crazyness of kerky... I have the oportunity to render in network for first time because I start workin in the office and they have lots of computers, but quite old, so its better to use them all together, but after testing I cant use netrendering for images bigger than 1024x768, I suppose it's because of the server, just I'd like to know if I can change any setting to be able or the only way is improve the server (that's not an option to me because I dont know anything about servers)
thanks
I like a lot the webpage
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:40 am

old machines? does that mean they have very low RAM available?
this could be the problem
<<

majssac

Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:21 pm

Fletch wrote:old machines? does that mean they have very low RAM available?
this could be the problem

they are working with windows xp and 1 gb RAM with AMD 64
I'afraid that will be the server, but I'd like to change something to be able to render bigger images
thanks
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:03 pm

this is very low RAM, you will need more if you want big images
<<

LSQ

Post Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:16 am

Re: ktfarm Netrender -or- Net Rendering

It's seem Lekonna has long abandoned his project so I've decided to give it a shot as I too would like a solution to automate rendering on multiple computers.
The goal is to take it further then Lekonna's last project state, to make it much more configurable and user friendly by the means of a GUI.
However firstly, IANAP! I'm not a programmer! That means I'm pretty much learning everything as I go along so any help and/or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Secondly, before you get all happy happy joy joy excited, this project is as of yet pretty much still in the conceptual phase. #-o

CONCEPT:
Everything is controlled from one central computer running the server software and all the clients run the client program that listens for jobs.
When you want to start a render the program would first check the availability of all configured clients and then load KT with the user
defined model and configuration in server mode. The active clients then get notified of the pending job and the location of the project filetree.
On the client, when all files are properly downloaded, it will load KT in client mode and start contributing to the KT server. Eventually when
the job is done the client shuts down KT, removes the project files and continues to listen for new jobs.

FEATURE GOALS:
  • Custom on demand server-client solution over TCP. This means that no network shares are needed and only a small service would be running on the clients.
  • Unlimited number or render clients in theory but I think up to 100 is a more realistic value. I sure don't have 100 computers. :lol:
  • Full control over the clients. This means starting, pausing and stopping the jobs at any time from the server via client-side GUI automation.
  • Automatic syncing of the project files over HTTP or a TCP socket. This would require only one extra communication port next to the one from KT.
  • Full control of the render method and number of cores used per client before starting a render job and this without KT.
  • Client configuration, availability and status monitoring from the server meaning no client side configuration has to be done.
  • Native version for both x32 and x64 windows.
  • GUI automation function tested and working.
  • Working on configuration validation and parsing functions, 60% done.
  • Started blueprinting the GUI interface.
NEXT:
  • XML rewriting functions.
  • Network communications protocol.
  • Everything else and enough coffee to keep the whole chinese population awake for one night. :grin:
AFTER THAT:
  • Tesing, testing and more testing.
  • Putting it all together under a shiny GUI.
  • Even more testing.
I need help on the scripting side of KT as the existing documentation is not sufficient and I'm lost on how to set custom values.
Let's hear your thoughts, ideas and suggestions people. :)
Previous

Return to F.A.Q. - How do I...